Senior PHP Developer
Defiant is a small, dynamic, fast-growing, and profitable company with loyal customers who love our products and services. We are the global leader in WordPress security, protecting over 4 million websites.
Are you excited about working for a technology company that is securing the web? Are you looking for full-time, flexible hours* working remotely from anywhere in the United States? If so, this may be your dream job!
Salary is $120,000 – $150,000 along with a one time $20,000 signing bonus.
*Required core hours of 10am – 1pm Pacific Time
You’ll work with a talented and highly-motivated team that is friendly, fast-moving, self-managing, and highly capable with a sense of humor. Our team’s family time is important; we won’t typically require long hours when we can avoid it, which is almost always. Our entire team works remotely using Slack for casual interaction, so you can live practically anywhere in the World if you have an Internet connection. There’s no micro-management here—we trust that you will see tasks through to completion and communicate with your fellow team members when needed or ask for help when needed.
At Defiant, ‘trust’ is the attribute we value most highly among our team members. We need to know that you can grab a task, communicate clearly with stakeholders, and see the task to completion with superb attention to detail.
We use apps like Slack, FogBugz, GitHub, and Google Apps for our workflow.
We must be able to trust that you can grab a bug, do a great job of implementing the required code and do it in a way that is scalable, secure, bug free and maintainable. Our release tempo is frequent, and we put a premium on our team being able to produce well engineered software. We’re not a bureaucracy. The code you write will be deployed in short order on over 4 million websites and we need to ensure that our team continues to provide the high standard of engineering our customers have become accustomed to.
Note that this role is for a Senior Developer which has more rigorous knowledge and experience requirements. If you would prefer to grow into this role, but are ready to join Defiant now, we encourage you to apply for our Developer role.
We do not have any artificial constraints on advancement at Defiant. In other words, we don’t limit advancement in the company based on time, seniority or other constraining factors. If you apply for the Developer role instead, you may find yourself quickly advancing to Senior Developer level, or it may take a few years. Either way, you’ll get all the help and mentoring you need from our amazing team.
The specific skills we require for this position are:
- Significant development experience with PHP. You’ve written code that is not only secure but scales to a large number of users.
- Production experience with MySQL. You’ve designed database schemas with an emphasis on scalability and performance.
- Experience working with large amounts of frequently updated data, and designing efficient schemas and data structures, is a requirement.
- Experience with Apache, NGINX, HAProxy, and/or OpenResty. You’ve built apps on a LAMP/LEMP stack.
- Experience with HTML, CSS, and JS. Vue.js and/or Node.js experience is a strong plus.
- Working knowledge of Git and GitHub. You’ve collaborated with other developers on a project on GitHub.
- Experience using Linux systems. You’re comfortable using the command line to troubleshoot issues on a server.
- Experience with AWS. You’ve built apps that run and scale in AWS.
- Understanding of common web vulnerabilities. You’re able to identify vulnerabilities through code reviews.
- Experience with the WordPress API is a plus, but not a requirement provided you have extensive PHP experience.
- A keen interest in information security. Credentials like Security+, CISSP or other are a strong plus, but not a requirement
- Knowledge of other languages a strong plus.
- AWS experience with SQS, Glue, CloudFormation, Big Data, ML, Kinesis, Lake Formation is preferred.
- Experience with Laravel is a strong plus.
Our Application Process
All positions require a trial period of approximately 3 weeks with a minimum commitment of 10 hours per week. You will be paid for this short-term contract, and it will be used to evaluate whether both parties want to pursue an ongoing, regular employment relationship.
All offers of employment are contingent on successful completion of a background check. The results of the background check are considered as they relate to the position and do not automatically disqualify someone from an offer of employment with the company.
- One time $20,000 signing bonus.
- Full time telecommuting and flexible working hours, with a company that has been 100% remote for over 8 years.
- 100% employee premium and 50% of dependent premium paid by company for premier- level medical, dental, and vision insurance.
- 21 days PTO per year to start.
- Approximately 12 paid company holidays including the week from December 25 to January 1.
- 401(k) with a 4% Safe Harbor company match that is 100% vested immediately.
- Latest in laptop and workstation technology.
- Wellness reimbursement program for health and fitness purchases.
- Mobile phone and internet reimbursement up to $100 per month.
- Monthly beverage reimbursement for coffee, tea, water, etc.
- Paid training and study time for work-related training and certifications.
- College tuition reimbursement.
You can review our full benefits outlined here.
Diversity at Defiant
We value diversity and do not discriminate based on race, color, religion or creed, national origin or ancestry, sex, age, physical or mental disability, military or veteran status, gender identity or expression, marital status, sexual orientation, political ideology, economic status, parental status, or any other non-performance-related status.