At Defiant, we understand that, even though we are a team of over 30 talented individuals, we don’t have it all figured out. You might be a perfect fit for our team, in a role that we have not yet thought of. So we have created this Mystery Job to give you the opportunity to describe a role that you think we should have, and that you think you are perfect for.To apply for our Mystery Job, you get to write your own job description and then sell us on why you are a perfect fit for the job you just invented.
WORKING AT DEFIANT
Do you want to work in cyber security? How about being able to work anywhere on the Planet? On a beach in Hawaii, or taking your lunch break fly fishing a stream in Alaska.
We are one of the fastest growing cyber security companies in the World. You will be working for us remotely full-time, with full benefits including platinum level medical, dental, 401K, a generous stock options package, gym reimbursement, company paid security certifications (CISSP, Security+) and conferences.
We are a team of 34 talented and highly motivated people. We’re fast moving, nimble, self managing and work in a relaxed atmosphere with a sense of humor. Rather than working for a mega-corp, you will be working in a company where your work has real impact in the fun high-growth stages of our evolution.
We use apps like Slack, Fogbugz, Github and Google Apps for our workflow. Each team member is world-class at what they do. We have flexible working hours and we are a diverse team ranging in age. Most of us are based in the USA and many are international including countries like Sweden, Bulgaria, the UK and many more.
Here are some of the core skills we look for in team members:
- A willingness to grab whatever task is required of you and run with it. This may include work outside of your core tasks. We are a small team and everyone needs to pitch in.
- A high level of productivity and self-management.
- Must be comfortable working remotely and interfacing with other team members using Slack and other remote tools.
- Excellent analytical ability and problem solving skills.
- A strong work ethic.
- Effective communication skills. This is critical for remote workers and we can’t emphasize this enough. You will spend a significant amount of time interfacing with our customers and/or other team members through your keyboard and it’s critically important that you can effectively convey your thoughts.
While it is up to you to define your Mystery Job, here are a few of the skills required at Defiant and some of the technology that we use:
- PHP including object oriented PHP. Our developers write clean, high performance and maintainable code that is secure.
- Our QA team has a thorough understanding of how to test our products, file bugs in Fogbugz and how to work with our dev team to validate that issues have been resolved. Our developers and QA team have a productive and collegial working relationship.
- We use subversion and git, along with github and the associated workflows.
- We use MySQL extensively and knowing how to write well performing SQL, the ability to design schemas and an understanding of MySQL data types and performance is very helpful.
- Experiencing with Apache, Nginx and other web platforms like Lightspeed is highly desirable.
- Most of our team is very comfortable with basic Linux administration.
- Understanding of common web vulnerabilities is helpful because we are, after all, a web security company.
- Vulnerability research is something we do a lot of – and many of our team are able to identify vulnerabilities in code.
- WordPress experience is required for most roles.
- A keen interest in infosec helps. Credentials like Security+, CISSP or other is a strong plus.
- Knowledge of other programming languages, in addition to PHP, is a strong plus.
All positions require a trial period of approximately 2-3 weeks with a minimum commitment of 10 hours per week. You will be paid for this short-term contract, and it will be used to evaluate whether both parties want to pursue an ongoing, regular employment relationship.
All offers of employment are contingent on successful completion of a background check. The results of the background check are considered as they relate to the position and do not automatically disqualify someone from a offer of employment with the company.
Full-time, regular positions include the following benefits:
- Company pays 100% employee premium, 50% of dependents : platinum level medical, dental, vision.
- 21 days PTO.
- 401(k) with company match.
- Stock options.
- Latest in laptop and workstation technology to do an awesome job from anywhere in the World.
- Company paid local gym membership.
- Full time telecommuting with flexible hours.