Customer Support Engineer
Defiant is a fast-moving cybersecurity company that delivers the best threat protection for WordPress sites.
We are a 100% remote team. You will be working for us remotely full-time, with full benefits including platinum level medical, dental, 401K, a generous stock options package, gym reimbursement, company paid security certifications (CISSP, Security+) and conferences.
We’re fast moving, nimble, self managing and work in a relaxed atmosphere with a sense of humor. Rather than working for a mega-corp, you will be working in a company where your work has real impact in the fun, high-growth stages of our evolution.
The Customer Support Engineer role provides Premium and free support to our customers through email and forum posts. We do not offer phone support.
Here are some of the core skills we look for in team members:
- A willingness to grab whatever task is required of you and run with it. This may include work outside of your core tasks. We are a small team and everyone needs to pitch in.
- A high level of productivity and self-management.
- Must be comfortable working remotely and interfacing with other team members using Slack and other remote tools.
- Excellent analytical ability and problem solving skills.
- A strong work ethic.
- Effective communication skills. This is critical for remote workers and we can’t emphasize this enough. You will spend a significant amount of time interfacing with our customers and/or other team members through your keyboard, and it’s critically important that you can effectively convey your thoughts.
- Patiently work through resolution of support emails and questions posted in the forum. This involves flexibility in both customer care and incident management.
- Provide timely, accurate and courteous support to achieve the highest possible customer satisfaction.
- Acquire and maintain an excellent technical understanding of Wordfence and other Defiant products.
- Identify support trends by gathering and sharing information with coworkers.
- Proactively and reactively create and curate support documentation.
- Appropriately escalate complex situations.
- Sympathize with our customers and promote our company value of providing excellent customer service.
- Good understanding of WordPress as a CMS and PHP application.
- General knowledge of Internet protocols, web tools, programming languages and security infrastructures.
- Strong verbal and written English skills.
- Problem solving and critical thinking. Ability to perform advanced troubleshooting and guide customers through the same. Ability to search information and evaluate it independently, or present hypotheses to coworkers for input.
- On screen multitasking. You will be working in several different interfaces at once and must be able to effectively answer customers and communicate with coworkers over the course of the day.
- Effective time management.
- Able team worker: self-directed and able to collaborate easily, knowing when to ask for help and how to give and receive feedback.
- Enthusiastic “everything is possible” attitude. Ability to see opportunity when problems arise.
- Empathy and patience: some of our customers have experienced hacked sites. You should be able to comfort customers and de-escalate stressful situations.
- Fast and reliable internet connection.
- Must be located and eligible to work in the United States.
- All positions require a trial period of approximately 2-3 weeks with a minimum commitment of 10 hours per week. You will be paid for this short-term contract, and it will be used to evaluate whether both parties want to pursue an ongoing, regular employment relationship.
- All offers of employment are contingent on successful completion of a background check. The results of the background check are considered as they relate to the position and do not automatically disqualify someone from a offer of employment with the company.
- Platinum level PPO medical insurance plan with dental and vision included. Company pays 100% of the premiums for employees and 50% for dependents.
- 21 days PTO per year plus one additional day per year of service.
- 401k with matching contributions.
- Opportunities to attend security conferences and WordCamps (conferences vary but we have attended RSA, DefCon, BSides, Shmoocon and others).
- Company paid local gym membership.
- Company paid fees and study time provided for work-related educational courses and security certifications such as Security+, CEH and CISSP.
- You will receive a new laptop (MacBook Pro or equivalent) and any items needed to create a successful work environment at home.